Saturday, August 19, 2006

Eat, Drink, Repent, Repeat

So, I'm driving home last night from the most GHETTO Six Flags I've ever been 2 in my life (lawd, that's a whole post by itself!), and when we get back into the city my sister asks, "what are the three things you will always find in Baltimore?"

I quickly answered, "a chicken box!"

"Yeah, that's one! And you know what else? A Liquor Store and a Church. I don't care where you go in Baltimore, you'll find some damn liquor and a church!"

And I'm like, "yeah, so you can be a drunken high mess all week and then go to church on Sunday to repent."

We were only sorta joking. But then we thought it would be fun to count the chicken box joints, the liquor stores and the churches we saw all the way home. Y'all, it wasn't funny no more.

On EVERY SINGLE BLOCK for the next 5 miles, there was AT LEAST one asian owned chicken box/cheesesteak/chinese food joint, one or more liquor stores and one or more churches! I've lived in this city for 6 years now and this still surprised me. Not that I didn't know how the inner city breaksdown, but on every block??

In some cases, the liquor store and the church were SIDE BY SIDE! In one case, they were actually connected!

But my favorite of them all? We passed a store called: FAMILY DISCOUNT LIQUORS WTF?! So, DeDe and her ten kids can all go to the liquor store and they don't need coupons? What the hell do they sell, beer bottles for infants? Pacifiers that dispense milk and kahlua and cream? Spiked Red Kool - Aid for Johnny and his friends?

I can write a hundred pages about all the shit that is wrong with Baltimore City, and it would probably be the same thing for a whole lot of other inner cities too. Eat, Drink, and go to Church and give 'em your last dime so U get your blessing next week!

Anyhoo, I know I've been out of pocket here for a month. LOTS has happened in that time, no time to blog. I should be getting back to pretty regular entries now though kiddies.

The EP is sounding better and better by the way!

"We need 2 stop chokin' on the truth and start smokin' on a plan, man." - R. Kelly, As I Look Into My Life

Check out Saturn on I-Tunes!
Get Saturn's CDs at CDBaby!
Check out Saturn on MySpace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home